Still getting a black screen when the screen saver is set to engage or when previewing the screen saver. This is on macOS 27.0.1.
Deployment is via Jamf Pro, I created a package from the already installed screen saver file and the preference plist as both are found in the root Library subfolders, set chown to Root:Wheel for both. In tandem, a configuration profile sets the screen saver and other settings as follows:
Domain: com.apple.screensaver
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>askForPassword</key>
<true/>
<key>askForPasswordDelay</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>idleTime</key>
<integer>900</integer>
<key>loginWindowIdleTime</key>
<integer>900</integer>
<key>moduleName</key>
<string>CompanyScreenSaver_2026_3</string>
</dict>
</plist>
Not sure what I am missing. I am using the latest version of iScreenSaver. It has worked fine this way for quite some time, no issues with macOS 26.x.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.
That plist you set is the old one, which generally isn’t relevant for modern macOS. Did you set up the new plist? It’s in a different location.
See Understanding the macOS Sonoma screensaver plist
for description and instructions.
If you have the new plist set up correctly, then there could be another problem.
As the issue seems squarely with macOS 27, even though System Settings’ GUI shows that the designated screensaver is correct, I do not see it listed in the plist. Yes, I decoded all the base64 items in the plist, and there is no reference to the custom screen saver at all, even though the GUI shows it as correct. Still, a black display is still seen when the saver is enabled.
In addition to deploying the system screen saver file and the preference plist, am I now to add the “com.apple.wallpaper/Store/Index.plist” file as well? I am concerned that if I do that, our deployed Wallpaper might be affected, or if the user changes the wallpaper, it would be altered unexpectedly.
The support information lacks detail to understand the flow, and I am looking for more information or suggestions.
Yes, that’s really the only plist file you need for macOS Sonoma and higher.
The installation flow is basically this:
- on a test machine, install your screensaver (using the iScreensaver-built installer app). Do a “for all Users” installation as indicated.
- get the plist, and a copy of the .saver bundle that was installed
- roll out the .saver bundle and the plist on the target machines.
It’s a long thread, so perhaps you missed it, but these step-by-step instructions begin here: Understanding the macOS Sonoma screensaver plist - #5 by iScreensaver